The Rio Grande Foundation has been active in encouraging written testimony from New Mexicans regarding the Public Education Department’s controversial new social studies curriculum (click for more information or to send your own comments). Whether these standards are embedded with “Critical Race Theory” or not is open to debate, but there is no question that numerous CRT “buzzwords” and concepts appear in the new guidelines.
Separately, but at the very same meeting, the PED was supposed to collect comments on a proposal that would make it MUCH more difficult for elected school board members to defend themselves against being replaced by the Secretary (often acting on behalf of their boss, the Gov.). The proposal, if adopted, will force board members to obtain and pay for legal representation themselves (click to comment on THAT proposal), thus making it nearly impossible for them to defend against State overreach.
We have JUST received word that PED has CANCELED the public meeting and will be holding the meeting on Zoom only. Clearly they want to be able to control the meeting which can be done much more easily online. Read the revised notice here including Zoom info:
NOTICE OF CHANGES TO RULE HEARING
The New Mexico Public Education Department (PED) gives notice of time and location changes to a public hearing scheduled Friday, November 12, 2021, published in Issue 18 of the New Mexico Register on September 28, 2021.
The PED gives notice that it will conduct a public hearing on Friday, November 12, 2021 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. (MDT) via Zoom for
- the proposed repeal of 30.6 NMAC, Suspension of Authority of a Local School Board, Superintendent, or Principal, to be replaced with 6.30.6 NMAC, Suspension of Authority of a Local School Board;
- the proposed new rule 60.11 NMAC, Required Training Program for School District Personnel, School Volunteers, and Contractors; and
- the proposed repeal and replace of 29.11 NMAC, Social Studies.
- Link: https://zoom.us/j/95261645812?pwd=ejNMZ2Fyb2xsVWFhT2VTMWRabnRKQT09
- Passcode: Policy2021
- Or One tap mobile:
- US: +16699006833,,95261645812# or +12532158782,,95261645812# or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799
- Webinar ID: 952 6164 5812
- International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/adcuJ7c7Py
Public Comment. Interested parties may provide comment at the public hearing or may submit written comments by mail to John Sena, Policy Division, New Mexico Public Education Department, 300 Don Gaspar Avenue, Room 121, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501, by electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax to (505) 827-6520. Written comments must be received no later than 5 p.m. (MDT) on Friday, November 12, 2021. The PED encourages the early submission of written comments. The public comment period is from Tuesday, September 28, 2021 to Friday, November 12, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. (MDT).
The PED will review all feedback received during the public comment period and issue communication regarding a final decision at a later date.
Copies of the proposed rules may be accessed through the page titled, “Rule Notification,” on the PED’s website at http://webnew.ped.state.nm.us/bureaus/policy-innovation-measurement/rule-notification/, or may be obtained from John Sena at (505) 570-7816 during regular business hours.
Individuals with disabilities who require the above information in an alternative format or need any form of auxiliary aid to attend or participate in the public hearing are asked to contact John Sena at (505) 570-7816 as soon as possible before the date set for the public hearing. The PED requires at least 10 calendar days advance notice to provide any special accommodations requested.