At least one lefty group is VERY upset that a $100,000 contract has been given to a lobbying firm that represents Chevron and ConocoPhillips. The grant is to develop a plan to diversify New Mexico “away from the state’s current dependence on oil and gas.”
The only people who should be outraged are New Mexico taxpayers for this abject waste of their money. Considering the benefits to oil and gas for our civilization New Mexicans should be very proud of the industry.
However, we at the Rio Grande Foundation could easily come up with a plan to move New Mexico away from oil and gas (and while we don’t take state funding, we could do it for much less than $100K).
- Reform the gross receipts tax to eliminate pyramiding;
- Adopt a Right to Work law and end our Davis-Bacon prevailing wage law;
- Use a portion of the $43 BILLION locked away in New Mexico’s permanent funds to transition away from having individual or corporate income taxes;
- In the interests of fiscal restraint eliminate all film subsidies and corporate welfare programs including LEDA and “green” subsidies;
- Enact a Colorado-style TABOR constitutional limit on spending and taxes.
— ProgressNow New Mexico (@ProgressNowNM) April 28, 2023